Marcelo Bielsa has a had an outstanding start at Leeds United winning his first four competitive fixtures. Bielsa has transformed the style, structure & belief using the players he inherited from last season even though he has recruited new players, these have been forced to sit on the bench. Bielsa is a huge well known name throughout the world having managed countries such as Argentina & Chile plus teams Newell Old Boys,Athletic Bilbao, Marseille, Lazio, Lille.
Football DNA analyst Stewart England has broken the first two games down Stoke City (H) & Derby County (A) to show you how Bielsa style has been implemented onto this Leeds team. Some Key Points are:
- Possession Based Build Up Style – Play out from the Back with 2 centre half’s splitting to allow Phillips (23) to collect the ball from the GK and start the attack. Phillips (23) excellent at creating angles to support players in possession.
- Left Back Douglas (3) stays wide when the ball is on the right side in anticipation for the switch of play.
- 4-3-3 Formation is their structure but rotation occurs with Hernandez (19) swapping roles with central midfield pair Saiz (14) & Klich (43). Alioski (10) steps inside between the opposition Right & Centre Back to allow Douglas (3) space to attack.
- Saiz (14) & Klich (43) very athletic running forward from midfield with & without the ball to support the front four. Both will play in between the lines.
- Roofe (7) leads the line well with very clever movement to get in behind the opposition defensive line.
- Excellent in defence to attack transition countering very quickly with vertical passing forward and committing numbers forward at pace.